JST manufactures cast resin transformers with numerous advantages
over other types of transformers (both oil-filled and VPI) and other
cast resin transformers.
Technical advantages of
cast resin transformers:
Lower cost of ownership than oil-filled
- Less maintenance – Cast resin transformers don’t have oil
that needs to be checked or refilled, or seals to replace.
- Lower up-front construction costs – Cast resin
transformers don’t need expensive catch basins.
- Cheaper to decommission – Cast resin transformers contain
no hazardous waste, and thus cost less to decommission.
- Cast resin transformers are fire resistant – as opposed
to oil-filled transformers, which are highly flammable and
potentially very dangerous.
- In the case of a short circuit, cast resin transformers won’t
cause catastrophic damage. Because cast resin has better
structural integrity, it will withstand a short circuit much
better than oil-filled or VPI transformers.
- Unlike oil-filled transformers, cast resin transformers
contain no contaminants that could leak or otherwise escape into
- Cast resin never requires expensive cleanup.
- Cast resin is very efficient — equal to or greater than 98% —
and especially more efficient than VPI.
- Cast resin transformers are air-cooled, so they have
considerably lower losses.
Advantages of JST’s transformers over other cast resin
- JST uses the original “May-Christie” (barrel winding) design,
which offers maximum efficiency.
- During casting, we use a static mixing process. This results
in better uniformity during curing, ensuring a higher degree of
structural integrity in the final casting.
- Our fan package uses a stainless steel squirrel cage air
delivery system. JST’s fans give you 50% “additional capacity” —
the highest in the business.